Whale Watching in Depot Bay

Have you ever been whale watching?  I've been to the coast so many times and never actually went whale watching!!  My daughter and grandson were here visiting from Kansas and wanted to go whale watching - so we booked a tour with Dockside Charters out of Depot Bay. When we first ventured out on the boat, I was a nervous.  How big were the whales going to be?  How far out will we go?  Am I going to get sea sick??



Not my grandson - he was ready to go!  "Look mom, I'm on the Titanic"!


Feeling nervous again.


Everyone was boarded and out we went.  The water was pretty choppy so the boat bounced around quite a bit.  Sometimes it felt like it was going to tip over.
         


 I was starting to feel a bit scared and then I saw it!  A whale!!
 

 





























 We drove around the waters for about 40 minutes looking for blow spouts to follow.  We had several sightings, but they were so fast I couldn't get a good picture of them all.  I prayed for a full breach (totally out of the water), but I did get a good tail view. 
 Again, mighty fast!!


 And then it hit.  Sea sick.  Even out in the open air, focused on whales, Oh lordy don't let me get sick.  Fortunately, by now the tour was about finished and within 10 minutes we headed back to the dock.  Took me some crackers and a bottle of water to fully recover, but it was well worth it. What amazing and majestic creatures these whales are. I wonder what they thought of us following them around.  "Oh great, here comes the paparazzi again!" 


 We were also lucky enough to see some California sea lions enjoying some sunshine on a buoy.  They were completely unfazed by the passing whales.  


 
 In spite of the nerves of the unknown and getting seriously nauseous toward the end, it was so worth it!!  I would do it again in a heartbeat (with anti nausea meds this time).

Comments